Join Our Team - Coordinator Position
The Special Needs Support Network is looking for a coordinator!
The job entails the following:
- Join a team of volunteers committed to serving kids, youth and families with disabilities/special needs
- Coordinate annual programs and events, including the holy months of Ramadhan and Muharram
- Plan inclusive social events for families and kids
- Plan events aimed at training new and existing volunteers
- Collaborate with other groups within the JCC, including youth groups and ladies/men’s volunteers
- Liaise with the executive committee to help raise awareness and expand the group!
Experience with kids/youth with disabilities is an asset, but NOT necessary. You will learn with the existing SNSN committee and from the amazing families you meet.
Minimum suggested commitment: 1 year
If you are interested, please email specialneeds.jss@gmail.
- Any experience with kids/families with disabilities (if applicable)
- A brief paragraph about you, outlining your skills and interest in being a part of the team
The Special Needs Support Network (SNSN) is a sub-group of the Jaffari Support Services (JSS). We are a group of volunteers dedicated to integrating children, youth, and adults with special needs both within and beyond the Jaffari community.
Our goal is to increase awareness on special needs and disabilities to the community in order to make our centre more inclusive and accessible for everyone.
Some of our programs include:
– Educational/spiritual programs during the holy months of Muharram and Ramadhan
– Opportunities for special needs individuals to volunteer and give back to the community while learning new skills
– Family-friendly/accessible socials
– Workshops and information sessions for families
– Training for volunteers
– Connecting special needs individuals and families with buddies in the community
– Providing American Sign Language (ASL) interpretation of lectures and events
We are excited to be collaborating with SMILE Canada (www.smilecan.org) and Global Deaf Muslim Canada for future programs at the Jaffari Community Centre!
News & Events
For the first time ever at the JCC, the SNSN helped provide an ASL interpreter during the opening and closing ceremonies of the Al-Wahda Sports Festival 2017!
Check it out here: https://www.facebook.com/snsnjss/videos/1986063384945845/
The SNSN was honoured to be presented with the SMILE DOST Award.
Read about it here: http://www.smilecan.org/single-post/2017/03/01/2017-SMILE-DOST-AWARD
Eliya – programs and event coordinator
Hadi – male volunteer coordinator and men’s EC liaison